Louisiana Christian Men’s Soccer Recap – (RV) Wildcats Hold Their Own In 1-1 Draw Against #8 Grizzlies
Published 9:35 am Friday, August 25, 2023
DALTON, Ga. – The Louisiana Christian University men’s soccer program stared down a perennial powerhouse and stood tall on Thursday, withstanding an early deficit to come away with a confidence-building tie in the opener, 1-1 versus the eighth-ranked GGC Grizzlies.
- (RV) Louisiana Christian 1
- #8 Georgia Gwinnett 1
- (RV) Louisiana Christian (0-0-1, 0-0-0 Red River)
- #8 Georgia Gwinnett (1-0-1, 0-0-0 Continental)
- Dalton, Georgia – Dalton Stadium
- Series History
- Series Tied 0-0-1
- Winning Streak
- Louisiana Christian (T1) | Georgia Gwinnett’s Last Win: N/A
Wildcats Top Performers:
- Sergio Pita Martin got the Wildcats on the scoreboard for the first time this season in the 52nd minute, blasting an unassisted rocket into the back of the net on his lone shot attempt to tie the score at one apiece. The Spanish striker has now scored nine goals with LCU in only 18 matches while averaging more than a point per game (1.17) at 21 so far during his tenure.
- Rodrigo Silva, a transfer from Rogers State, made his debut in Orange and Blue with a complete game as Coach Castillo’s opening day starter in goal, securing a game-best seven saves in eight chances (.875%) to make a solid first impression with the club.
- Natty Essomba tied his career-most of three shots to lead Louisiana Christian, placing one of those on-target while Pita Martin, Adrian Amoros Navarro, and Michael O’Brien tallied the other three shots-on-goal.
- Other Cats to make a dent in the stat sheet were Pedro Rivera, Shakeem Walters, and Pablo Negro, who all had shot attempts but none aimed between the pipes.
- The Wildcats improved to 2-0-1 in their last three season openers which included victories at Pensacola Christian in fall 2021 (3-2, OT) and at home opposite Belhaven in 2022 (2-0).
- The schedule only gets tougher moving forward as the fourth-ranked Roadrunners of Dalton State await on Saturday night at 5 p.m. CT.