Tennis scholarship named for J. Randolph Gregson
Published 9:11 am Friday, December 9, 2022
Special to the Daily News
The Southern Tennis Foundation (STF), the charitable affiliate of USTA Southern, is proud to announce the establishment of a college scholarship in memory of Southern Tennis Hall of Fame inductee J. Randolph Gregson.
Gregson rose through the ranks as a USTA volunteer, serving as USTA Louisiana, USTA Southern and finally as USTA President. A 1987 inductee into the Southern Tennis Hall of Fame, he was a semifinalist in senior doubles at Wimbledon and a two-time USTA champion and varsity player at Arkansas State. He teamed with his son, Randy Gregson II, to win two USTA Southern Father/Son Doubles titles.
The scholarship, worth $1,000 per year for four years, will go to worthy students who have been involved in tennis during their high school careers. The primary selection criteria will be academic achievement and promise, civic involvement and character. Selections will be made by the STF’s College Scholarships Committee.
- Played college tennis at Arkansas State and won several military titles while serving five years in the United States Navy
- Won the USTA Southern Senior Doubles and National Clay Court Doubles in 1964
- Wimbledon Senior Doubles semifinalist in 1965
- Served as USTA President, USTA Southern President and USTA Louisiana President, as part of his decades of service.
- Graduated from the University of Texas as a petroleum engineer
- Won two Southern Father/Son Doubles tournaments with Randy Gregson II
- Helped “rebuild” tennis in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.
- Born in Jonesboro, Ark., on Dec. 11, 1918, and passed on May 23, 2010
The STF is an independent all-volunteer 501(c)3 organization that provides needs-based scholarships, grants to assist competitive junior players, grants for youth-oriented programs, and emergency assistance to programs, pros and players. Donations are tax-exempt, and every dollar donated to the STF goes back to programs and players in the Southern states.
Click here to make donation to the J. Randolph Gregson Scholarship. For other giving options, visit the Southern Tennis Foundation website. If you prefer, you may mail your check to Southern Tennis Foundation/USTA Southern/5685 Spalding Drive/Peachtree Corners, GA 30092. If you want to make a multi-year pledge or some other special arrangement, contact USTA Southern Executive Director & COO Matt Olson.