Sun Belt East Division race headlines week 11 slate
Published 9:07 am Thursday, November 11, 2021
For exclusive Sun Belt Football content on game days and throughout the 2021 season, follow @SunBeltFB on Twitter.
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
- HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE? – Ranked for the 22nd-straight week in both national polls, No. 22/21 Coastal Carolina will host Georgia State at 1 p.m. CT Saturday on ESPN+. The Chanticleers, who will aim to keep pace with App State in the Sun Belt East Division, are riding a 12-game home winning streak into this week’s matchup and boast a 12-6 all-time record on homecoming. Coastal Carolina also leads the nation, averaging 8.07 yards per play. However, the home team has never won in the history of the Coastal Carolina vs. Georgia State series. The teams have split the prior four meetings, 2-2, with the Panthers winning in Brooks Stadium in 2017 and 2019.
- POSTSEASON IMPLICATIONS – App State, which ranks sixth in the FBS with 70 wins since 2015—trailing only Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Georgia, will host South Alabama at 1:30 p.m. CT Saturday on ESPN+. The Mountaineers will look to maintain their position atop the Sun Belt East Division, while the Jaguars will seek their sixth win to secure bowl eligibility in head coach Kane Wommack’s first season at the helm. App State has won the last three meetings, to claim a 3-1 advantage in the all-time series.
- TEXAS TWO STEP – Georgia Southern has won four-straight meetings against Texas State and boasts a 6-1 all-time mark against teams from the Lone Star State. The Bobcats will host the Eagles at 2 p.m. CT Saturday on ESPN+. Fresh off a 27-19 win over ULM, Texas State will attempt to win back-to-back games for the first time since Sept. 21 and 28, 2019.
- RANK AND FILE – Troy, which earned bragging rights in the state of Alabama by winning the Battle for the Belt last weekend, will welcome No. 24/25 Louisiana to Veterans Memorial Stadium at 2:30 p.m. CT Saturday on ESPN+. By hosting the Sun Belt West Division champion Ragin’ Cajuns, Troy will become the lone Group of Five program to have hosted a nationally-ranked foe in each of the past four seasons—Boise State (2018), App State (2019), Coastal Carolina (2020) and Louisiana (2021). Louisiana owns a 12-9 lead in the all-time series and is attempting to win its program-record ninth-straight game. A Troy win would secure the team’s bowl eligibility for the first time since 2018.
- KEEP THE STREAK – Arkansas State will visit ULM at 4 p.m. CT Saturday on ESPN+. The Red Wolves have won 11-straight games against the Warhawks and boast a 28-14 lead in the all-time series. Arkansas State is still in search of its first conference win of the Butch Jones era and its first road victory of the 2021 season.
WHERE TO WATCH
|Saturday, Nov. 13|| Georgia State at No. 22/21 Coastal Carolina |
Game Notes | Game Notes
|Saturday, Nov. 13||South Alabama at App State | Game Notes | Game Notes||1:30 p.m.||ESPN+|
|Saturday, Nov. 13||Georgia Southern at Texas State | Game Notes | Game Notes||2 p.m.||ESPN+|
|Saturday, Nov. 13||No. 24/25 Louisiana at Troy | Game Notes | Game Notes||2:30 p.m.||ESPN+|
|Saturday, Nov. 13||Arkansas State at ULM | Game Notes | Game Notes||4 p.m.||ESPN+|
All Times CT
For exclusive Sun Belt football content on game days and throughout the 2021 season, follow @SunBeltFB on Twitter.