Franklinton defeated by Covington

Published 10:37 pm Friday, September 10, 2021

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

The Franklinton High School Demons hosted the Covington High Lions on Friday in both teams’ second game of the year. Covington went into the game coming off a win the previous week against Broadmoor. Franklinton had a hard-fought loss against Bogalusa the week prior.

It was a grueling first half for the Demons. The Lions took an early lead against the Demons with a hand off to Justin Chatman from Brandon Coakley in the Lions’ second play. Chatman broke through the Demon defense for a 60-yard run and the touchdown. Mason Estrada kicked the extra point and the score was 7-0 just a minute into the game.

The Lions put two more unanswered touchdowns on the board in the second quarter. The first came on a handoff from Coakley to Quintez Laurant from the 3-yard-line. Estrada kicked the extra point and put the score at 14-0. Coakley made another hand off to Laurant from 8 yards out for the Lions’ third touchdown of the game. Estrada missed his kick and set the score at 20-0 at halftime.

The second half brought a completely different ball game. Early in the third quarter, Billy Gross successfully blocked a field goal attempted by Estrada. The Lions put a fourth touchdown on the board with a handoff from from Coakley to Chatman at the start of the fourth. Mason made the kick and put the score at 27-0.

The Demons answered with a pass from Zion Anders to Kendarius Brumfield from the Franklinton 48, and a 50-yard return for the touchdown. Cole Colletti made the extra point kick and the score went to 27-7.

Colletti immediately went for the onside kick, which was successful and the Demons retook possession. Anders passed to Glen Mark from the 34-yard-line and Mark ran it in for the Demons’ second touchdown in less than a minute. With the score 27-14, the Lions answered back with a touchdown drive of their own, ending with Coakley handing off to Laurant at the 15 yard line for the Lions’ final touchdown of the game. With the extra point, the score went to 34-14 with eight minutes left.

With three minutes left in the game, the Lions were forced to punt from their own 28. Demon Michael Ballard blocked the punt, which was recovered by Franklinton’s Timarion Partman at the 3 yard line and set the Demons up to score. Anders went with a quarterback keeper around the left side and scored the final touchdown of the game. Colletti’s kick was good and put the final score at 34-21.

Franklinton (0-2) goes on to play Fontainebleau next week.

This article was written by John Glover, for The Daily News.