Sumner tops Pine, 41-20

Published 11:31 pm Friday, September 6, 2019

The Pine High School Raiders lost to the Jewel Sumner Cowboys on Friday night by the score of 41-20 at home. Pine went into the game after a loss the previous week to Franklinton.

It was a busy first half for both the Raiders and the Cowboys. The Cowboys got on the board first, four minutes into the game, with a pass from Laquantion Bickham to Johnny Sims from the Pine 32-yard-line. Sims ran it in for the touchdown. The extra point was no good and the score was 6-0.

Four minutes later, the Raiders answered back with a pass from Logan Temples to Adrianuen Johnson from the Cowboys’ 40-yard-line for the touchdown. The Raiders got the two-point conversion with a handoff from Temples to Jaheim Williams and took the lead 8-6.

With a minute left in the first quarter, Bickham handed off to fellow Cowboy Richard Lee at the Raiders’ 10. Lee broke through the defense and put another touchdown up for the Cowboys. Bickham completed a pass to Cedric Brumfield for a two-point conversion and the score went to 14-8 heading into the second quarter.

With two minutes left in the first half, Temples handed off to Johnson from the 5-yard-line. Johnson pushed through right up the middle to tie up the game at 14-14. Another conversion attempted by Temples was blocked by the Cowboys’ defense.

Back in possession, the Cowboys made a quick five-play drive downfield ending with a pass from Bickham to Davonte Moore down to the Raiders’ 11. Moore broke in through the left side for the Cowboys’ third touchdown of the game. The extra point kick by Adrain Gonzalez was good and the score at halftime was 21-14 in favor of the Cowboys.

Both the Raiders’ and the Cowboys’ defense came out at the half ready to play. The third quarter saw nothing in the way of gains for either competitor. After three minutes into the fourth, the Raiders put their third and final touchdown of the game on the board.

At the 1-yard-line, Temples handed off to Johnson, who busted through the defensive line. Temples attempted the two-point conversion with another handoff to Johnson without success and the score moved to 21-20.

The Cowboys pushed through three more touchdowns in the final six minutes of the game. A pass from Bickham to Sims from the 44-yard-line put the score at 27-20. The extra point kick was blocked. With three minutes left in the game, Lee pushed through the Raiders defense after a handoff from Bickham. The extra point was good and the score became 34-20.

In the final touchdown of the game, Temples made a pass downfield from the Raiders own 37-yard-line, which was intercepted by Moore and returned for the touchdown and the extra point for a final score of 41-20.

Next week, the Pine High School Raiders will travel to Bogalusa to take on the Lumberjacks.

This article was written by John Glover for The Daily News.