Pine falls to Pearl River

Published 12:01 am Saturday, September 15, 2018

By John Glover

The Daily News


Pine High School lost to visiting Pearl River High School Friday night in the third game of the season. The Raiders went into the game having won against Varnado High School the previous week.

The Rebels’ offense came out ready to fight. Quarterback Justin Dean led his team to two touchdowns in the first seven minutes of the game. The first touchdown, four minutes into the game, wrapped up the Rebels’ first drive downfield. Kicker Hunter Martensson made the extra point and put the score at 7-0. The second touchdown for the Rebels came two minutes later with a handoff to Corey Warren by Dean. Warren took the ball at the 36-yard-line and carried through for the touchdown. Martensson’s extra point went true and the score was 14-0.

The Raiders fought back with two back-to-back touchdowns of its own. With two minutes left in the first quarter, Logan Temples passed to Markell Cotton from the 13-yard-line to put the Raiders on the board. Temples attempted the two-point conversion but was stopped by the Rebels defense, which left the score at 14-6.

The Raiders followed with another touchdown with two minutes in the second quarter. Temples passed to Jordan Anderson from the 27 and Anderson ran it home. The Raiders attempted the conservation again with a handoff to Adrianuen Johnson, but the Rebels held the line and kept the score at 14-12.

With less than a minute in the half, the Rebels put a third touchdown on the board with a handoff from Dean to Warren from the 7. Martensson was good with another extra point kick and the score at the half was 21-12.

The Raiders appeared to rally at the start of the second half with an immediate push which ended with Temples keeping the ball in the last play and pushing through to put another six on the board for Pine. Temples attempted the conversion again with a pass to Cotton but the pass was incomplete and left the score at 21-18.

The Rebels offense resumed control of the ball for the remainder of the game, putting another three touchdowns on the board. One was on a handoff from Dean to Devin Hart at the end of the third quarter. Dean put the next on the board himself with a quarterback keep from the 4 yard line at the start of the fourth quarter.

With four minutes left in the game, Dean handed off to Warren for the carry and the final touchdown. Martensson successfully kicked the extra point for all three scores. The final score was 42-18.

Pine High School travels to play St Helena College and Career Academy next week.