Demons post 1-2 record in tournament

Published 12:30 am Saturday, January 6, 2018

COVINGTON — Franklinton posted a 1-2 record in the Gene Bennett Classic that took place last Thursday through Saturday at St. Paul’s School.
Franklinton lost its first two games.
The opener was a 55-48 setback to St. Paul’s.
T.Y. Pope led all scorers with 22 points.
Raisean Hart posted 15 points, which included three 3-pointers.
Kian Conerly recorded seven while KeAndre Martin posted three and Trequan Charles added one for Franklinton. Conerly and Martin hit a 3-pointer each.
The Demons lost to Northshore the following day, 62-50.
Franklinton trailed 6-5 in the first quarter and but moved in front to lead 13-6 after an 8-0 run.
Hart got things going with a dunk to give the Demons a 7-6 lead with 4:38 left. Pope made a putback after grabbing an offensive rebound and Conerly drove, then pulled up and hit a shot to make it 11-6. Hart added two more when he caught a pass on a runout, missed the shot, but got to the loose ball and hit the next to make it a 13-6 contest.
Northshore ended the run when Tyrese Terrell passed to Moses Ngodock for a dunk at the 2:18 mark, but Conerly pulled down an offensive rebound and converted the second-chance points 14 seconds later as Franklinton took a 15-8 lead.
Things went downhill quickly, as Northshore scored 20 unanswered points over the next 4:38.
The first half of the run occurred prior to the end of the first quarter.
James Martin hit a 3-pointer with 1:45 to go to trim the lead to 15-11. Ngodock hit for two after recording an offensive rebound and Martin knocked down another three with two seconds left and the Panthers took a 16-15 lead to the second quarter.
Northshore began the second quarter with possession and Devin Myers was successful on a driving layup to put the Panthers up by three. Myers hit another layup and Mason Jobert was good on a layup before Ngodock dunked and Dylan Ryan hit for two as Northshore had a 28-15 lead with 5:26 left in the first half.
Northshore led by as many as 17 at 39-22 in the first half and had a 41-28 lead at the break.
The margin in the second half was between 11 and 20 points throughout, in the 62-50 contest.
“We played with no energy and we played like we were tired and we played like we just had to be here,” Franklinton coach Brad Oestriecher said.
Pope once again led all scorers. This time, he put up 26 points, which included a pair of 3-pointers.
Conerly posted 10 points.
Hart recorded nine points while Martin had three and Charles added two for Franklinton. Hart and Martin hit a 3-pointer each.
Ngodock posted 24 points for Northshore, which included a 3-pointer. Martin scored 13 points and hit three 3-pointers.
Michael Benedict had nine while Terrell and Ryan tallied six each and Myers and Jobert had two each.
Franklinton won its final game of the tournament, 68-39, over International High School of New Orleans on Saturday.

Franklinton’s T.Y. Pope takes a shot during a game during a tournament game at St. Paul’s last week.