Bowling Green falls in 43-40 squeaker

Published 11:07 pm Friday, September 29, 2017

The Bowling Green Buccaneers were defeated at homecoming by the Central Private Rebels on Friday, 43-40. Central Private went into Friday’s non-conference game after a 23-14 victory over Amite School Center the previous week. The Buccaneers had fought Centreville Academy in a 42-20 loss in Centreville.

The Buccaneers offense put up six touchdowns on the board, including five in the first half, with the final play of the game deciding the winner.

With the very first down of the game, Bowling Green quarterback Cameron Bell broke through the Rebel defense with a quarterback keeper from the Buccaneers’ own 23-yard-line for a 67-yard touchdown. Bell attempted the extra point kick but it fell short, which put the score at 6-0 just 24 seconds into the game.

The Rebels answered back with their own seven-play drive downfield. From the 12 yard-line, Rebel quarterback Kaleb Fontenot tossed a short pass to Cole Averette, who ran it in for the touchdown. Fontenot succeeded in the two-point conversion attempt with a handoff to Averette, who pushed through the Buccaneers’ defense as the Rebels took the lead 8-6.

A brilliant pass to the Buccaneers’ Charles Panksley by Bell from the 15-yard-line was good for their second touchdown, with five minutes left in the first quarter. Bell attempted to run it in himself for the two-point conversion but was held back by the defense and the score became 12-8. The Rebels again answered with their own drive to the endzone. Fontenot broke through the defensive line at the Buccaneers’ 35 yard-line and ran it in for the touchdown. Fontenot failed in his attempt for a conversion when Buccaneer Grady Bell blocked his pass, which left the score at 14-12.

Central Private’s Jace Pendarvis kicked off to the Buccaneers and Larry Dillion caught the ball at the 13 yard-line and returned it all the way downfield, 87 yards, for the Buccaneers’ third touchdown of the first quarter. Bell completed a pass to Ben Beckham for the conversion and set the score at 20-14 in favor of the Bucs.

The Rebels would not be deterred and pushed back. With a minute left in the first quarter, Central Private put another touchdown on the board after a handoff from Fontenot to Averette at the 11 yard-line. Fontenot attempted the extra point kick but it fell short and tied the game at 20-all.

Before the end of the half, the Buccaneers put two more touchdowns on the board and the Rebels added a touchdown of their own.

A hand off by Bell to Cameron Brock from Rebels’ 26 yard-line was good for a touchdown and, with the two point conversion from a hand off to Dillion from Bell, the score moved to 28-20. The Rebels tied it back up a minute later with a run by Averette from the Rebels’ 45 yard-line, and then with a hand off to Averette for the conversion to make the score 28-28.

With 15 seconds left in the half, Bell ran in the Buccaneers’ fifth touchdown from the 4-yard-line. He attempted the conversion with a pass to Jace Schexinder, but it was incomplete and the score at the half was 34-28 Buccaneers.

The Rebels dominated the third quarter with two touchdowns, each with a two-point conversion, while successfully shutting down two possessions by the Buccaneers.

The fourth quarter opened with the Buccaneers in possession and the Rebels leading 43-34 Rebels. With 11 minutes left on the clock, Bell kept the ball and ran from the Rebels’ 20 yard-line for the touchdown. Bell attempted the two-point conversion but the Rebels defense held against his handoff to Dillion, which left the score at 43-40.

With 31 seconds left in the game, the Buccaneers took possession at their own 35-yard-line. Bell passed to Panksley, who ran out of bounds at the Rebels’ 43. With twenty four seconds left, Bell passed to Panksley who was down at the 35.

With 17 seconds remaining, the Rebels put pressure on Bell, forcing him to run the ball himself down to the Central Private 23. From there with 4 seconds left in the game, Bell attempted an end zone pass to Brock on the left side, but Brock could not get to it and the Rebels took the game by a final score of 43-40.

This story is by John Glover for The Daily News.