Pine falls to St. Helena

Published 11:09 pm Friday, September 22, 2017

By John Glover

The Daily News

In the first District 9-2A match up of the season, the Raiders hosted the St. Helena College and Career Academy Hawks on Friday. The teams were nearly through the first half with just two minutes left on the board, when lightning flashed and the officials called a 30-minute delay for the weather.

The first half saw a couple of drives by both teams. The Hawks scored first just two minutes into the game, with a handoff by quarterback Ricky Travis to Aaron Hurst. The extra point was good with a kick from Matthew Claiborne and set the score at 7-0. With 46 seconds left in the first quarter, Raiders quarterback Joey Seal opted for the quarterback keep from the 15 yard-line and broke through the Hawks’ defense for the touchdown. Seal attempted the two-point conversion but the Hawks held and the score was 7-6.

In the second quarter with 8 minutes on the clock, Seal handed off to Jakryan Handy at Pine’s own 23 yard-line. Handy fumbled and Jailyn Franklin recovered for the Hawks, running it in for the touchdown. The Raiders blocked the extra point kick and the score became 13-6. Three minutes later, the Hawks put another touchdown on the board with another hand off from Travis to Hurst from the 16 yard-line. The Raiders again blocked the extra point and the score was 19-6. A lightning time out was called with two minutes left in the half.

An hour and 45 minutes later, the teams return to the field. The Raiders took the opportunity to put another touchdown on the board with a handoff from Seal to Dillon at the 7 yard-line. Seal successfully attempted the two-point conversion with a handoff to Handy and the score went to 19-14 at the end of the second quarter.

Both teams’ defenses were at their best in the second half. Neither team was able to work its way downfield.

The last score of the game came at the beginning of the fourth quarter, when the Hawks’ Javor Hurst returned a punt from the 30-yard-line for a touchdown. A quick handoff from Travis to Aaron Hurst made it through the Raiders defense for the two-point conversion and the final score was set at 27-14.