Pine victorious over Pearl River

Published 11:11 pm Friday, September 15, 2017

Pine takes out Pearl River, 42-29


By John Glover

The Daily News


PEARL RIVER ­— The Pine High School Raiders defeated the Pearl River Rebels on Friday in a non-conference match up with a final score of 42-29. The Raiders went into the game off a loss against St. Thomas Aquinas the previous Friday.

Dominating the first half, the Raiders, led by quarterback Joey Seal, put four touchdowns on the board. The Raiders’ defense recovered two fumbles and made two interceptions while holding the Rebels to a single touchdown.

On the first play of the game, Seal handed off to Delvric Dillon from the Pine 30-yard-line. Dillion rushed past the Rebel defense and ran for 70 yards and a touchdown just 30 seconds into the game. Seal handed off to Jakyran Handy, who slipped in for the two-point conversion and set the score at 8-0.

Drake Westmoreland cut the Rebels’ ensuing drive short with an interception at the Pine 49. Seal made good use of Westmoreland’s play, following it up with a four-play drive for another touchdown. Seal went for the extra point, kept the ball and broke through the Rebel defense for another two point conversion to set the score at 16-0.

The Rebels could not get their feet under them and a fumble with 24 seconds left in the quarter was recovered by Brendon Kelley.

The second quarter came with a renewed push by the Rebels. Quarterback Justin Dean passed to Courtney Moore from the 18-yard-line for their first touchdown. Kicker Hunter Martensson made the extra point and the score closed to 16-7.

Seal and the Raiders responded with a quick six-play drive and a touchdown of their own. The two-point attempt was stopped by the Rebels and the score moved to 22-7. The Rebels tried to push back, but a fumble by Dean was recovered by Westmoreland and the Raiders were back in possession and pushed a 10-play drive down the field.

Seal handed off to Damarea Odom from the 4-yard-line and netted the Raiders their fourth touchdown of the half. The Rebels stopped the two-point conversion but Pine still led 28-7. The half ended with a pass by Dean to Moore that was intercepted at the last second by Pine’s Rayshun Bell.

It was the Rebels who got going early in the second half. Their first possession of the half was a 10-play drive, ending with a handoff from Dean to Moore for a touchdown. Martensson was good with the extra point kick and the score moved to 28-14.

The Raiders offense met a strong defense on the next drive, but still pushed downfield for 13 plays. Seal handed off to Handy at the 3-yard-line for the touchdown. Seal succeeded in the two-point attempt with a handoff to Dillon, widening the Raiders’ lead to 36-14.

In the fourth quarter, the Rebels again opened with a quick drive downfield. Dean opted for the quarterback keeper from the 14-yard-line and passed through the Raiders defense for another touchdown. Dean also ran for the two-point conversion, making the score 36-22.

Pine had a response, as the Raiders made a quick four-play push into Rebel territory. Seal handed off to Markell Cotton at the 5-yard-line and Cotton broke through the Rebel defense for the touchdown. The Raiders attempted another two-point conversion but were stopped by the Rebels and the score was 42-22.

After the kickoff, the Rebels didn’t waste any time. On the third play, Dean handed off to Moore at the Pearl River 42. Moore found a hole and ran all the way for 58 yards and the last touchdown of the game. Martensson was good with the kick, setting the final score at 42-29.

Pine improved its record to 2-1. The Raiders will be home next Friday, as they host St. Helena College and Career Academy in Pine’s first district game of the season.