Pine loses late lead, falls to PJP

Published 11:24 pm Friday, October 28, 2016

Part of sports is coming back after tough losses.
That will be the task for Pine after a heartbreaking, 19-18, setback to Pope John Paul II in Friday’s District 8-2A contest.
The host Raiders had an 18-0 lead with 3:35 left in the third quarter after Raydarrius Robertson scored on a 12-yard run. The two-point conversion run was short, keeping it 18-0.
It looked like Pine was on its way to a 6-2 record, but things changed and did so quickly.
“We had talked all week long about their big play ability,” Pine coach Bradley Seal said. “They live off of that. They had two tonight and that won them the football game.”
The first big play came on third play of the next drive. Reese Satterlee played quarterback for the second half, replacing David Doane, who went to running back.
“David has been the heart-and-soul of our team all year, but I think it was obvious after the first half that he wasn’t on tonight,” Pope John Paul II first-year coach Brett Bonnaffons said. “I knew he was a tough kid mentally. I knew what he had, so I knew if I put him at running back, he would be able to do what he had to do.”
Both players and others helped key a big comeback.
On the ensuing drive after Pine made it 18-0, Satterlee found Anthony Chappetta on third-and-5 at PJP 35. Chappetta made the catch, broke a tackle and was gone — 65 yards to the end zone and the lead was down to 18-6 after the two-point run came up short.
Pine turned the ball over on downs on the next drive and Doane capped off the possession with a 25-yard run. Kade Dixon hit the extra point to make it 18-13.
Two big plays keyed that drive. First, the Jaguars converted a fourth-and-4 from the 30 on a seven-yard pass from Satterlee to Nick Mancuso. The other was a short pass from Satterlee to Chris Brown toward the left. Brown ended up reversing field and going 38 yards to the Pine’s 25. Doane scored on the next play. It was 18-13 with nine minutes left.
Pope John Paul II’s Tony Hattier recovered a fumble on the next drive with 7:55 on the clock. PJP took the lead 12 plays later when Satterlee kept and went into the end zone. He fumbled, but was ruled to have broken the plane before doing do. The two-point pass was incomplete, but it was 19-18 with 2:18 on the clock.
Pine had one more chance, but was unable to score.
The Jaguars ran out the final 1:22 for the 19-18 victory.
Seal said his team can’t dwell on the loss.
“It’s a big game next week (on the road against St. Thomas Aquinas),” Seal said. “We’ve got a good football team. We’ve got a lot to play for. If we win, we’ll be home for the first round of the playoffs.”
Pine’s first touchdown came in the opening quarter when Joey Seal threw to Chris Gordon for a 32-yard score. A high snap on the extra point attempt led to desperation throw to the end zone that was knocked down by a PJP defender. It was 6-0 with 1:25 left in the first period.
Pine scored late in the second quarter on a 19-yard run by Jakyran Handy. Pine converted the two-point conversion, but was backed up 10 yards for holding. The extra point was wide, keeping it 12-0 with 1:22 left in the first half. The score went to 18-0 on Robertson’s touchdown before PJP’s comeback began on the next possession.
Pine is 5-3 overall and 2-3 in district. The Raiders play their final regular season game Friday on the road against St. Thomas Aquinas.