Deputies arrest Tylertown man

Published 4:41 pm Tuesday, October 11, 2016

On Friday, Oct. 7, the Washington Parish Sheriff’s Office arrested Nigel C. Fortenberry, 28, a resident of Connerly Road in Tylertown, Miss.

Fortenberry was placed in the Washington Parish Jail, where he remains with bond set at $7,550. He is charged with possession of a stolen firearm, possession of marijuana, probation violation and two counts of misdemeanor failure to appear.

Chief Deputy Mike Haley of the WPSO said that Fortenberry’s arrest was the result of a suspicious vehicle call made to the WPSO. The caller reported a suspicious vehicle occupied by one male driver sitting in the driveway of an abandoned residence on Cleve Kennedy Road. The vehicle was reported to have a Mississippi license plate. While responding to the call, a patrol sergeant observed a vehicle fitting the description backed into a hunting club road in the area.

Haley said the patrol sergeant stopped and encountered Fortenberry, the driver of the vehicle. A wanted person check indicated Fortenberry had outstanding warrants. While arresting Fortenberry, the sergeant observed a pistol lying on the front seat of the vehicle. A records check indicated the pistol was stolen. A search after the arrest located marijuana on Fortenberry’s person.

Haley said that Fortenberry was in the Washington Parish Jail on one previous occasion. In April 2011, he was arrested for driving while intoxicated, careless operation of a motor vehicle and possession of marijuana. At that time, Fortenberry was a resident of Bene Street in Franklinton. He was released from jail on those charges after posting a $3,250 bond.

“We may never know for sure why Fortenberry was parked at the two locations in Washington Parish,” Sheriff Randy Seal said “I assure you, though, he wasn’t studying his Sunday School lesson. The report from an alert citizen and the diligence of our patrol sergeant likely prevented a crime.

“Once again, one of our deputies encountered an armed person and once again our deputy went home safe. Good job, Sergeant!”