Raiders rush by Hannan, 28-20

Published 11:41 pm Friday, October 7, 2016

Pine used a dominating offensive line and rushing attack to score a key touchdown late, on the way to a 28-20 win over visiting Archbishop Hannan on Friday night.

With 10:14 remaining in the game, Hannan kicker Bryce Ducorbier was good on a 36-yard field goal to cut the Raiders’ lead to 21-20. Pine started its next possession on its own 27-yard-line, putting together an 11-play drive that ended with a 6-yard touchdown run by Jakyran Handy with 4:36 left in the game.

Ten of the 11 plays in the drive were runs, and six were runs by Handy.

Christian Edwards added the extra point to increase Pine’s lead to 28-20.

The Raiders’ defense forced Hannan to turn it over on downs on the Hawks’ next possession, and Pine was then able to run out the clock to secure the win.

“That may have won the game for us right there,” Pine coach Bradley Seal said of the fourth-quarter drive. “Hannan was moving the ball on offense on us in the second half, and we had to answer.”

The Raiders led the game 21-10 at halftime. Pine’s victory improved its record to 4-2 overall, and 1-2 in District 7-2A play. Hannan fell to 1-5, 0-3.

Handy finished with 26 carries for 191 yards, and scored four touchdowns.

“That’s the kind of team we are,” Seal said. “We’ll go as far as our offensive line and No. 5 (Handy) lead us.”

Pine broke onto the scoreboard first Friday night, when Handy scored on a 4-yard touchdown run with 7:38 left in the first quarter. The drive was 72 yards on 10 plays — all runs.

Hannan answered on its next drive, as Ducorbier hit a 31-yard field goal with 4:38 left in the first.
The Hawks’ defense helped give the visitors their first lead of the game. Hannan’s Seth Caillouet pulled the ball away from a Pine player, giving the Hawks possession on the Pine 18 after a penalty. Five plays later, Timmy McDonald passed to Witte David for a 3-yard touchdown reception, and Ducorbier’s extra point put Hannan ahead 10-7 with 9:33 left in the second quarter.

But the Raiders regained their lead with two more touchdowns in the second quarter — Handy rushed for a 3-yard score with 3:36 left and a 34-yard touchdown with 2:06 remaining.

The Hawks didn’t take long to cut into Pine’s 21-10 halftime lead. McDonald completed a 7-yard touchdown pass to Brock Schultis with 9:13 left in the third quarter. Ducorbier’s extra point cut it to 21-17.

The Raiders tried to respond with a drive of their own, but eventually turned it over on downs at the Hannan 20.

The Hawks then put together the drive that ended with Ducorbier’s second field goal of the game, but Hannan would get no closer.

Although Pine ran the ball for most of the game, Seal credited senior wide receiver Chris Gordon for making several key catches to keep drives alive. Gordon finished with three catches for 26 yards.

“Those were some really clutch catches by Chris,” Seal said.

Pine travels to face Springfield next Friday night in a district game.