Franklinton defeats Amite

Published 11:24 pm Friday, September 11, 2015

By John Glover

For The Daily News

The Franklinton Demons hosted the Amite Warriors on Friday in Franklinton’s second game of the season, coming away with a 40-12 win.

The Warriors were coming of a 14-6 victory against St. Helena Central, while the Demons were trying to overcome a close loss last week against Covington.

In an eventful first half, the Demons took an early lead. A pass by Warrior quarterback Elijah Walker was intercepted by Vernon Lowe at the 36-yard line, putting the Demons in scoring range after a 26-yard return.

Tahj Magee finished off the scoring drive with a quick handoff to Relik Wilson for the touchdown. A trick play by Walker Andrews faked the extra point kick. Magee kept the ball to attemp a pass for the two-point conversion. However, the pass was incomplete which left the score at 6-0.

The Warriors answered back with a six-play drive. Walker passed to Davonte Smith for the touchdown. The Warriors attempted a two point conversion where Walker passed to Andrew Jones, but he was stopped by Jerimiah Burkhalter. The score was tied at 6-6 with five minutes left in the first quarter.

With the Demons back in possession, Magee handed off to Wilson who took it up the middle for a 30-yard gain. The Demons continued their push down field to the Warriors’ 5-yard line.  Magee handed off to Wilson again and Wilson took it around the side and into the endzone for the Demons’ second touchdown of the game. Magee attempted another two-point conversion with a pass to Azende Magee. The pass was incomplete, which left the score at 12-6 in Franklinton’s favor.

The second quarter opened with the Warriors trying to catch up, but the Demons’ defense held firm and quickly returned the ball to the offense. Tahj Magee led the charge back to Warrior territory, including a quarterback keeper for 35 yards.

The Demons continued their 13-play, five-minute drive to the Warriors 12-yard line, where Tahj Magee broke through the defense for a touchdown. The Demons made their third attempt at a two-point conversion, with Magee passing to Dijimon Jenkins. The pass was good and brought the score to 20-6 at the end of the first half.

Franklinton continued its march in the second half. Tahj Magee brought the Demons back down the field for their fourth and fifth touchdowns of the game.

For the fourth touchdown, Magee completed a quick pass to Azende Magee. Andrews attempted the extra point without success and the score became 26-6 Demons. Five minutes later, Tahj Magee made a break from the Warriors 20-yard line. He found a hole and brought it all the way to the endzone. With Andrews making the extra point kick, the score became 33-6.

The Warriors’ defense rallied in the forth quarter, but the Demons were still able to push through another touchdown thanks to a interception by Stevie Thompson in Warrior territory, which he returned to the Warriors’ 25-yard line. Tahj Magee took full advantage and, with a quick hand off to Azende Magee, made the Demons’ final touchdown of the game. Andrews nailed the extra point, which brought the score to 40-6.

The Warriors did not give up, however. With less than three minutes on the clock, Walker handed off to Andrews Jones for the touchdown. Walker attempted a pass in the two-point conversion, but it was blocked by a host of Demons, which left the final score at 40-12 Franklinton.

Franklinton will remain at home next Friday, as the Demons host the Bogalusa Lumberjacks in a rivalry game for the Pine Burr Trophy.