Demons’ 3rd quarter run keys victory

Published 12:43 pm Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Franklinton answered a 6-0 run by Lakeshore with 12-unanswered points, which were big, in an 88-67 District 8-4A victory over the Titans Friday night at FHS.

The Demons led, 52-42, with 5:12 remaining in the third quarter.

Franklinton appeared to be in control but the Titans had other ideas.

Grant Stiebing hit Ashon Cook for three at the 5:04 mark.

After a Titans’ steal on the next possession, Cook, who recorded 24 points, was on target again from beyond the arc. Franklinton’s lead was down to 52-48.

But good teams respond, and the Demons did.

Franklinton ran off 12 consecutive points to essentially put the game away.

Ryché Jenkins began the spurt with two free throws. The Demons made a steal in the backcourt, and Tray Anders, who scored 20 points, turned the steal into points with a pair of free throws to make it an eight-point advantage with 4:36 left.

Anders then got fouled on a 3-point attempt and knocked down all three from the line for a 59-48 lead.

Anders went back to the line and hit two more, forcing Lakeshore to call timeout. Anders connected on 8-of-10 free throws.

Resean Hart grabbed an offensive rebound, got fouled on the putback attempt and split from the line.

Adrian Magee got inside for two to cap the run, and the Demons had a 64-48 advantage with 2:01 left.

Cook brought Lakeshore closer with a three but Franklinton closed the period with nine straight.

Magee was good on a layup. Azende T. Magee, who finished with 12, nailed a trey. He then came up with a steal that was capped off by Jadwyn Warren’s layup, and FHS had a 71-51 lead.

The period’s final points came when Warren found Adrian Magee for a layup. The Demons ended the third period ahead, 73-51.

Franklinton’s pressure defense throughout the game helped create turnovers. The Demons did a nice job of turning those into points.

“We’re not the biggest team in the world,” Anders said. “We don’t have any choice but to get some pressure on the ball, get some steals and some early points.”

Lakeshore’s Lon Levy opened the fourth-quarter scoring with a field goal and Stiebing hit one of two from the line but Azende T. Magee pushed the lead back over 20 with an offensive rebound and putback with 5:03 on the clock.

From that point, the Demons’ lead never dropped below 17 points, as Franklinton went on for the 88-67 victory.

The win snapped a two-game losing steak for the Demons. Franklinton was coming off of losses to East Jefferson and Salmen, 60-54, and 90-49, respectively.

“We matchup obviously better with them (Lakeshore),” Franklinton coach Randall Ginn said. “We played a lot more pressure defense tonight. We can play that same kind of way against Salmen. We probably need to next time more, even off of misses. It’s easier to press when you make. Tonight, we made, so it’s easier to press. Of course, their inside game is not as strong as Salmen’s. They have two good outside shooters. I thought we did a real good job on Dillon Smith No. 20 (eight points). We struggled with No. 4 (Cook) tonight, but a lot of good things tonight. We’ve been feeling a little down about ourselves for too long.”

Nick Burkhalter scored 19 points for the Demons. Warren and Peter Williams both had seven. Hart, Jenkins and Adrian Magee posted five each while Azende O. Magee posted five in the victory.

The win put the Demons at 16-7 overall and 1-1 in district play. Franklinton played Pearl River after yesterday’s press time. The Demons are back in action on the road against Salmen Friday for the second of three consecutive road games. The last of the three road games is against Lakeshore Feb. 10.

Stiebing scored 14 points for the Titans. Konrad Williams put up eight while Levy and Nate Faciane logged four each. Trevor Welch had three and Jason Wahlen added two.

Lakeshore is 17-8 overall and 1-1 in district.