Franklinton splits games at Pelican Park

Published 12:40 pm Friday, May 30, 2014

Franklinton High opened the Northshore Summer League with a lopsided win over St. Paul’s and an overtime loss against Mandeville, which took place at Pelican Park in Mandeville.
For this league, teams play a pair of 20-minute halves with a running clock until the 1-minute mark of each period and then they played under the standard timing rules.
If a player is fouled in the act of shooting, they get one free throw, which counts for whatever the shot was worth. If they hit the bucket and got fouled, the free throw is the standard one point.
Franklinton won the opener 59-35.
FHS got off to a great start. The Demons took control early on, going on a 9-0 run to break a 2-2 tie.
Born Smith, who scored eight points, tallied the first four with a layup and a jumper to make it 6-2 with 17:45 left.
Then Tray Anders, who recorded seven, was good on a layup for an 8-2 lead. Azende T. Magee, who tallied seven, knocked down a 3-pointer to make it 11-2 with 15:53 on the clock.
Franklinton added to its lead and pushed it to 28-15 at the 2:03 mark and then closed the half with eight unanswered.
Nick Burkhalter, who led the Demons with 13, hit a scoop shot with 1:48 showing. K.J. Magee then hit for two. Azende O. Magee used a fake and then hit the field goal and it was 34-15 with 38-seconds remaining. Peter Williams closed the half’s scoring by making a shot with three-seconds left and the Demons took a 36-15 lead to halftime.
The second half was more of the same, as St. Paul’s was unable to trim the margin below 19, which they did a few times throughout the second half, but this one belonged to Franklinton 59-35.
The second game was a lot more competitive in a game the Demons lost to Mandeville 65-63 in overtime.
The key to the game was the opening of the second half.
Franklinton led 29-22 at the break, but Mandeville began the first 9:53 of the second half with a 19-8 run to go up 41-37.
The Demons stayed within striking distance. Down 55-52 with 1:20 left,
Ryche Jenkins was good for two to make it 55-54. Mandeville hit a free throw after a player was fouled to make it 57-54.
Anders, who posted 11, tied the game by nailing a 3-pointer from the top of the key with 17 seconds left in regulation to tie things at 57-57.
Mandeville turned the ball over and Franklinton missed at the buzzer.
The game needed to be decided in overtime, which was twominutes.
Mandeville logged the first four points to take a 61-57 advantage before Quincy Stewart was good for two with 1:07 left, trimming it to 61-59.
From that point, MHS’ lead was either two or four, but the Skippers never relinquished it in the win.
“We didn’t well coming out of the second half,” Franklinton coach Randall Ginn said. “I don’t know if we were maybe a little too happy after beating St. Paul’s handily and having a good lead on Mandeville. Maybe we were a little complacent. I was determined everybody was going to play and we did that, but they put us in a great situation at the end of the game. Anytime you can get a close game in the summer league, that makes you better later on. That’s why you come.”
Burkhalter once again was Franklinton’s leading scorer, this time with 15 points. Stewart put up 11 and Azende O. Magee totaled seven.
Franklinton was scheduled to play Wednesday, but with the weather the way it was, the games were cancelled.