Enjoy the fair this week, but be safe
Published 9:45 am Wednesday, October 21, 2015
The Washington Parish Free Fair is in full swing this week, and thousands of visitors will travel to Franklinton to enjoy the festivities from now until Saturday. We hope that everyone has a great time at the fair, but also remembers to keep safety in mind, especially for young children.
The Washington Parish Sheriff’s Office has several recommendations for safety, many of which were published in last weekend’s edition of The Daily News. But just as a reminder, here are some of the most important tips to keep in mind:
• Prepare a written note with the child’s name, parents’ names, parents’ cell phone number, parents’ address and any other information. Give this note to your child in case he or she becomes separated from you, so that law enforcement officials can quickly locate you in the case of an emergency.
• Designate a meeting spot, in case you are separated from your children.
• Advise children who may become lost to approach a uniformed officer, who will take them to the sheriff’s office command center.
• Do not bring alcohol, illegal drugs or firearms to the fair.
• Stay in the well-lit areas and do not wander into the adjacent woods.
• Stay in larger groups, if at all possible.
• Follow all signs and directions from uniformed officers, concerning parking, traffic flow and other safety protocols.
Let’s make sure that everyone has a good time and stays safe at this year’s parish fair.