Published 8:04 am Friday, August 17, 2012
Each Friday, The Daily News will recognize individuals and businesses in Washington Parish who have gone “above and beyond” in their efforts to make this a better place to live, work, play and raise a family.
We believe that an integral part of a community’s wellbeing is an attitude and arena where people who do good things … who work to improve life for others … who try to make a difference … are recognized and saluted.
Because this is a salute to members of the community of Washington Parish, we solicit your recommendations for groups or individuals to be considered for inclusion.
This week we salute:
• Renecia Hodges and Briaunna Stallings, the winners of the annual Frank E. Stokes Memorial Scholarship Award.
• The anonymous donor who contributed $1,000 to the Bogalusa Blues and Heritage Festival.
• The Humane Society of Louisiana, Magnolia Chapter, which will offer 1,000 free cat sterilizations for free-roaming cats in the 70427 zip code, thanks to a grant from PetSmart Charities.
• Jeffery Reeves, a Bogalusa native, who recently joined the staff at Care Physical Therapy’s Bogalusa office.
• Members of Bogalusa Venturer Crew 313 and Varnado Venturer Crew 200, Boy Scouts of America, who won most of the major divisions in the 46th Annual Explorer/Venturer National Invitational White River 120-mile Canoe Marathon Race, recently held in Arkansas.
• Franklinton Head Start, which has earned a five-star rating from Quality Start.
• The Friends of Cassidy Park, who have built a new Papermill Classroom at the Pioneer Museum in Bogalusa.
• Betty Gill, who recently completed her term of office as district governor of Rotary District 6840.
• Lori Page Corkern, LPN, who has been named August Employee of the Month at LSU Bogalusa Medical Center.
• Wanda Freeman, R.N., who recently retired after 50 years of nursing, with 47 of those at LSUBMC.