Mayor Truong Responds to Arrest of Half Brother in Shooting

Published 12:17 pm Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

BOGALUSA, La. – In recent developments following a fatal shooting that occurred last week in Bogalusa, arrests were made, and one of the individuals apprehended has been revealed to be a family member of the city’s mayor. According to sources from WDSU, Caleb Moss, has been identified as the half-brother of Mayor Tyrin Truong. He was taken into custody on charges of obstruction of justice, being an accessory to first-degree murder, and attempted first-degree murder.

The shooting, which transpired outside of a basketball game, resulted in the tragic death of a 14-year-old and the injury of a 12-year-old. Moss is one of three individuals arrested in connection with the incident, alongside Jamichael Spikes and a 16-year-old.

Mayor Tyrin Truong, in response to the unfolding events, issued a statement expressing his stance on the matter. He emphasized that he does not condone any wrongdoing and addressed what he perceives as a biased narrative by stating, “Let me be clear: I don’t condone wrongdoing so Channel 6 can run with whatever narrative they’d like.” The mayor drew attention to the fact that the family members of other elected officials have faced legal issues without similar media attention.

He also questioned the handling of the case, raising concerns about the “coincidence” that elected officials’ children are repeatedly involved in such incidents, with evidence seemingly getting “lost.” Mayor Truong called on the public to scrutinize elected officials and law enforcement behind the scenes, suggesting a possible cover-up.

“It’s also not lost on me the ‘coincidence’ that this elected official’s kids keep getting away with these things. Why does evidence keep getting ‘lost’? The public should be checking the elected officials/law enforcement behind the scenes helping cover most of this crap up while our community has to deal with the fallout. Thank you to the residents that know I don’t stand for this and have been reaching out. It’s truly encouraging,” Mayor Truong remarked in his statement.

The situation continues to unfold as the legal process progresses, and residents are grappling with the aftermath of the tragic incident that has put the city in the spotlight.