Community Calendar for Jan. 19, 2022
Published 11:14 am Tuesday, January 18, 2022
If you have any information for the Community Calendar, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Geaux Jobs career fair
The Washington Parish Geaux Jobs Center is hosting a career fair scheduled for Thursday, Jan. 20, from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at The Place, 426 Georgia Ave. in Bogalusa. Businesses will be present to assist with job placement and career development. Also, any businesses that are hiring and are interested in attending can contact Hope Whitfield at 985-545-1050. The deadline for vendor registration is Monday, Jan. 17. The Washington Parish Geaux Jobs Center, located at 537 Kentucky Ave. in Bogalusa, is available to assist with resume building in preparation for the career fair. Those individuals seeking employment or training opportunities are encouraged to attend.
COVID-19 testing locations
To help lessen the burden at hospitals and clinics, Washington Parish citizens may also schedule a COVID-19 test at the following locations: Washington Parish Health Unit, 626 Carolina Ave. in Bogalusa, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m., appointment is recommended (drive-up only), call 985-732-6615; Washington Parish Health Unit, 120 11th Ave. in Franklinton, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m., appointment is recommended (drive-up only), call 985-839-5646, ext. 1; Walgreens, 217 Superior Ave. in Bogalusa, by appointment only and drive-thru only, visit online at www.walgreens.com/covid19testing or call 985-735-6434. Please note that most locations are experiencing a higher than normal request, and therefore the rapid test may not be available. Additional locations can be found online at ldh.la.gov/page/3934 and then click on the specific parish.
‘Sixty-four Parish Strong’ scholarship
The LSU College of Agriculture is once again sponsoring the “64 Parish Strong” scholarship program. The program offers a $1,000 scholarship to one eligible student from each parish. Students are automatically considered for this scholarship by being a Louisiana resident and submitted their College of Agriculture scholarship application by the deadline of Feb. 1. Scholarship criteria include must be accepted to LSU, must be majoring in agriculture, must submit an application, and should have a grade-point average of 3.0 or higher. To nominate a student or apply, visit online at conta.cc/3K2uaOh.
Bogalusa Help Center
It’s easy to smile when someone cares, and Bogalusa Help Center, our local food bank, cares. It is now a drive-through operation, located at 350 Martin Luther King Drive in Bogalusa. It is open from 8 a.m. until noon every Wednesday (except the fifth Wednesday of the month) providing food to those in need in our community. Since partnering with Second Harvest Food Bank/USDA, and along with generous donations from our community, BHC now distributes 35-40 pounds of food each month to over 400 families. These distributions include canned goods, meat, dry beans, peanut butter, fresh fruit and vegetables, etc. New clients can apply each week. They must provide: Name of head of the household; driver’s license or ID; address; number of persons in the household and ages; and SNAP or SSI printout, or proof of income of all in the household. Donations are always very much needed and appreciated. For more information, BHC may be reached at 985-735-6404 every Wednesday.
Parish alert system
Stay alert by enrolling in the Washington Parish Emergency Notification System. This alert system provides rapid notification of emergencies, critical events and urgent situations. The alert system can send notifications through the following methods: phone call, text, email or TTY/TTD service for the hearing impaired. Landline phones are automatically entered for the alert system. To receive alerts through a mobile phone or email, a citizen must register through one of the following options: call 985-282-2620, text “Alert” to 985-282-2620, or sign up online at www.hyper-reach.com/lawashingtonsignup.html. Citizens can also download the Hyper Reach Anywhere app to any smartphone.
Legion bingo returns
Bingo is back at the American Legion building every Thursday. Doors open at 5 p.m. and outstanding food will be served also. There is an ATM for your convenience.
Ongoing services at the Bogalusa library
• The Bogalusa branch of the Washington Parish Library offers a variety of services throughout the year. Faxing is available for $1 per 20 pages, and copies can be made for 20 cents each (black and white) or 50 cents each for color. There is also free computers for use — the first five copies are free, and it is 10 cents a copy after the first five.
• If you are an E-book reader, check out the selections offered by the parish library in partnership with four other library systems.
• Patrons have free access to ancestry.com at any Washington Parish Library, and free access to heritagequest.com from any home or personal device, as well as a large selection of genealogy materials at the Bogalusa and Franklinton branches.
• The Bogalusa branch receives current copies of local and national newspapers, as well as popular magazine publications. The public is invited to sit in the comfortable reading center to enjoy their favorites.
• For students, the Homework Louisiana website offers a variety of assistance methods, including a live online tutor, “Skills Builder,” homework help and tutoring for kindergarten through basic college level, a writing center, a career center and an adult education center.