Omicron testing options available
Published 12:15 pm Tuesday, January 11, 2022
As the “Omicron” variant of COVID-19 continues to surge throughout the state of Louisiana, Washington Parish citizens have a variety of options for getting tested for the new variant as well as COVID-19 in general.
Free COVID-19 PCR testing is available from Wednesday through Friday, at 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. each day, at Cassidy Park in the main pavilion. Those wishing to be tested are highly encouraged to pre-register online at omegadiagnosticslabportal.com/pre-register/WashingtonParishCommunityTesting (the only dash is in “pre-register”). You can also be registered on site.
The site will use a self-administered nasal swab test that will allow those being tested to swab their own noses, which will be observed by a trained medical volunteer to ensure the sample is taken correctly. The sample will then be dropped into a sealed container at the site.
Those being tested will need to wear a mask and be socially distant at the test site. Your test results will be sent to you through the secure online portal or app.
Self-test kits available
In partnership with the Louisiana Department of Health (LDH), a limited supply of FloFlex OTC self-administered test kits are available at the locations listed below. Test kits are on a first-come, first-serve basis and can only be picked up during days and times listed. The locations are as follows:
- Franklinton Fire Department, 415 11th Ave. in Franklinton, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m., call 985-839-3515.
- Northshore EMS, 153 Montgomery St. in Bogalusa, Tuesday and Thursday from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m., call 985-735-9507.
- Sumrall’s Pharmacy, 30304 Louisiana Highway 21 in Angie, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m., call 985-986-4433.
- Rawls Pharmacy, 36009 Louisiana Highway 38 in Mt. Hermon, Tuesday and Thursday from 9 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. and 1 p.m. until 5 p.m., call 985-877-4700.
Other testing locations
To help lessen the burden at hospitals and clinics, Washington Parish citizens may also schedule a COVID-19 test at the following locations:
- Washington Parish Health Unit, 626 Carolina Ave. in Bogalusa, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m., appointment is recommended (drive-up only), call 985-732-6615.
- Washington Parish Health Unit, 120 11th Ave. in Franklinton, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m., appointment is recommended (drive-up only), call 985-839-5646, ext. 1.
- Walgreens, 217 Superior Ave. in Bogalusa, by appointment only and drive-thru only, visit online at www.walgreens.com/covid19testing or call 985-735-6434.
Please note that most locations are experiencing a higher than normal request, and therefore the rapid test may not be available.
Additional locations can be found online at ldh.la.gov/page/3934 and then click on the specific parish.
The LDH recommends getting vaccinated and boosted, masking indoors as well as outside when distancing is not possible, and limiting your exposure to those not in your household. The LDH estimates that more than 90 percent of COVID-19 cases currently being reported are attributable to the Omicron variant.
To learn about vaccination sites near you, call Louisiana’s vaccine hotline at 1-855-453-0774. For a list of locations near you, visit online at ldh.la.gov/covidvaccine or text your ZIP code to GETVAX (438829) in English or VACUNA (822862) in Spanish.