Daily News wins ‘General Excellence,’ other awards
Published 2:24 pm Friday, June 26, 2020
The Daily News performed well in the Louisiana Press Association’s 2020 Better Newspaper Contest held recently.
The LPA announced the winners this week. Typically the awards are given out at the press association’s summer meeting, but that meeting had to be canceled this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Daily News won 20 awards in Division 2, which includes non-weekly newspapers of 20,000 circulation or smaller. There are 18 eligible newspapers in this division.
The Daily News won seven first-place awards, seven second-place awards and six third-place awards.
Among those awards was a first place in General Excellence, which is the only award in which a newspaper edition is judged in its entirety.
“I am very proud of the hard work of our staff, which allowed The Daily News to win these awards,” Publisher Justin Schuver said. “I am especially excited that we were able to win first place in General Excellence. This is always a competitive award, and it is a testament to our goal of always bringing our readers the best newspaper that we can produce.”
All work judged in the contest was produced during the 2019 calendar year. The Nebraska Press Association judged the competition.
Awards won by The Daily News included:
- General Excellence — First place, Staff.
- Best Money-Making Idea Ad — First and second place, Kim Edwards and Carol Case.
- Best Front Page — Third place, Staff.
- Best Sports Story — Second place, Chris Kinkaid.
- Best Sports Photo — Second place, Chris Kinkaid.
- Best Ad Campaign — Second place, Kim Edwards.
- Best In-Paper Promotion — First, second and third place, Kim Edwards.
- Best Success Story of an Ad — First, second and third place, Kim Edwards.
- Best Multiple Advertiser Page — Third place, Kim Edwards.
- Best Online Advertising-Single Ad — First and second place, Kim Edwards.
- Best Online Advertising Campaign — First and third place, Kim Edwards.
- Best Special Section — First and third place, Staff.