Parish president addresses COVID-19 developments
This statement was issued Monday by Parish President Richard “Ned” Thomas:
As of noon today, Monday, March 23, the Louisiana Department of Health is reporting 1,172 positive COVID-19 cases in the state of Louisiana, 1,634 tests completed by the state, 4,314 tests completed by commercial labs, and 34 deaths. I was saddened to learn that one of the deaths was a citizen of Washington Parish. My thoughts and prayers go out to that family.
Following the amended executive order issued by Gov. John Bel Edwards, I have made additional modifications to the workforce for parish government.
Effective Tuesday, March 24, please note the following:
- Washington Parish Government Office will be closed to the public. For logging and occupational permits, call 985-335-1307. For building permits, call 985-839-5456.
- Washington Parish Public Works will continue full operation, practicing workforce distancing. High-risk employees have been self-quarantined.
- Washington Parish Emergency Operation Center is under “Virtual Partial Activation.” The main method of communication is voice communication, 985-839-0434.
- Washington Parish Libraries are closed to the public until further notice. Staff is available by telephone, Facebook and email, and wifi is available at all locations. Online services are available through the website, www.washingtonparishlibrary.info. For information, call 985-839-7806.
- Washington Parish Permit Office is still operating. In Franklinton, call for an appointment at 985-839-5456. In Bogalusa, fees are being collected at Bogalusa City Hall drive-up only.
- Washington Parish Choctaw Landfill has changed its rules for disposing of garbage. These changes are posted on the WPG Website www.washingtonparishalerts.org, or call 985-848-2920 for information.
- The Washington Parish Animal Shelter is closed to the public/appointment only. For information, call 985-205-2023.
- All Washington Parish Council meetings for the month of March are cancelled. Contact the Council Clerk for information at 985-335-1313.
I would like to remind everyone to please remember the importance of hand washing, covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze, and social distancing.
Additional information and guidance on COVID19 can be found at the following sites, or by calling 211:
By Monday afternoon, the number of COVID-19 cases in the state exceeded 1,000, according to statistics released by the Louisiana... read more