Fire Marshal: Practice safe heating
Published 3:50 am Wednesday, November 20, 2019
The Louisiana Office of State Fire Marshal (SFM) is reminding all residents to practice safe home heating now that the temperatures have dropped.
The top safe-heating tips that SFM are offering families include:
- Place space heaters three to five feet from combustible objects like blankets.
- Plug all heating appliances directly into wall outlets, not power strips or extension cords.
- Do not use stoves or ovens to heat homes.
- Do not overfill fireplaces/wood burning stoves.
- Do not leave candles/open flames (or space heaters) left unattended.
- Have working smoke alarms in your home.
The SFM’s Operation Save-A-Life program partners with local fire departments and districts to provide FREE smoke alarm installations, at any time of the year, for families in need of assistance accessing the critical emergency-alert equipment.
In addition to having working smoke alarms, the SFM also emphasizes the importance of having planned and practiced escape routes for your home that include knowing two ways out of every room.
To register for a free smoke alarm, or learn more about Operation Save-A-Life, visit lasfm.org.