WRES principal eligible for national award
Published 3:36 am Wednesday, July 3, 2019
Wesley Ray Elementary School principal Kewanda August has been nominated for the 2019-2020 national LifeChanger of the Year award.
August was nominated by her friend, Franklin Crosby, for the infectious, “never die” attitude she brought to her school. She is loved by the entire staff and student body because of her outgoing personality and kind-hearted spirit. She is determined to help her students be the best they can be.
August has brought new technology and techniques to her school so her students have the best chances they can, including their own fresh gardens, where they can plant and grow their own vegetables.
“I can honestly say, without a doubt, that everyone in Kewanda’s school loves her. She not only encourages students in the classroom, but she encourages them to grow spiritually,” Crosby said. “She’s teaching students the value of getting an education. I can’t think of a more qualified person to receive this award.”
Sponsored by the National Life Group Foundation, LifeChanger of the Year recognizes and rewards the very best K-12 educators and school district employees across the United States who are making a difference in the lives of students by exemplifying excellence, positive influence and leadership.
Each school year, LifeChanger of the Year receives hundreds of nominations from all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Seventeen individual LifeChanger of the Year awards will be given during the 2019-2020 school year.
- One Grand Prize Winner — will receive $10,000 to be shared with their school/district.
- Four Grand Prize Finalists — will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school/district.
- Ten LifeChanger Award Winners — will receive $3,000 to be shared with their school/district.
- One Spirit Award Winner — This award is given to the nominee whose community demonstrates the most support for their nomination. The winner will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school/district.
- One Spotlight Award Winner — This award is given to a nominee in a specific discipline each year. For 2019-20, the Spotlight Award will be given to a nominee who has made a proven impact on school safety. The winner will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school or district.
Winners are announced via surprise award ceremonies held at their schools. The grand prize finalists will also be honored at a national awards ceremony in April 2020 in Florida, where the Grand Prize Winner will be revealed.
Winners are chosen by a selection committee comprised of former winners and education professionals. Nominees must be K-12 teachers or school district employees.
To view August’s LifeChanger of the Year nominee profile, or to nominate someone, visit www.lifechangeroftheyear.com.