Fugitive captured

Published 4:15 pm Friday, May 17, 2019

Bobby Oless Matthews, Jr., 49, a resident of Jack Pigott Road in Angie, became a fugitive when he fled from Washington Parish Sheriff’s Office patrol deputies on April 12, 2019. At that time, Patrol Deputy Dalton Manning was working in the northeast quadrant of the parish on Jones Creek Road when he spotted a vehicle traveling at an excessive speed.
Deputy Manning, joined by Patrol Sergeant David Cupp, pursued the vehicle, which fled from them at speeds up to 100 miles per hour. During the pursuit, the fleeing vehicle cut across at least one residential yard before finally spinning out in a ditch on Pearson Road. The driver, later identified as Matthews, fled on foot into adjacent woods. The Rayburn Correctional Center canine team responded to the scene and assisted Washington Parish deputies in their search for Matthews. They were unable to locate him, although they did track him to another road where it is assumed someone picked him up.
Inside the car Matthews had been driving, deputies discovered various narcotic pills in an unlabeled bottle. The car’s owner was identified and he later stated that he had loaned the car to Matthews earlier in the day. A warrant was obtained from a 22nd Judicial District Court Judge for the arrest of Bobby Oless Matthews, Jr.
Matthews remained a fugitive until May 16 when he was spotted and arrested without incident. He was transported to the Wash-ington Parish Jail and booked on charges of possession of illegal narcotics, aggravated flight from an officer, resisting an officer by flight on foot, leaving the scene of an accident, speeding and running a stop sign. As of this date, he remains in the jail with his bond set at $10,000.
According to jail records, this is at least the fifth time Matthews has been incarcerated since 2006. Previous charges include drug offenses, being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm, aggravated battery, criminal damage to property and failure to appear in court.
Sheriff Randy Seal commented. “Criminals can’t run forever. Sooner or later, we will find them. I’m so glad no one was injured during Matthews’ reckless driving episode and that he was eventually apprehended. Deputy Manning and Sgt. Cupp did an excellent job and all of us at WPSO are so grateful for the wonderful assistance we always receive from the staff at Rayburn Correctional Center.”