BPD: Man arrested for stealing hoverboards from Walmart

Published 4:25 am Friday, December 29, 2017

A Bogalusa man was arrested in late December after an investigation by the Bogalusa Police Department for incidents that happened at the local Walmart beginning on Dec. 1, according to Maj. Percy Knight, public information officer for the BPD. Devon Cotton Jr., 28, is now incarcerated in New Orleans on related charges.

Knight said the BPD initially received a call from the Bogalusa Walmart on Dec. 1 just before 8:15 p.m., concerning property damage to the chain link fence located in the garden center.

“Walmart management observed two hover boards lying next to the fence where a hole had been cut,” Knight said.

“A Walmart asset protection employee conducted an investigation and identified Cotton as the suspect. It was also found that Cotton stole several other hover boards over a two- to three-week period. The total value of the stolen merchandise was over $1,500.”

After Walmart’s investigation, the case was turned over to Detective Lt. Marty Baker, who was in the process of completing the investigation and obtaining arrest warrants for Cotton.

“On Dec. 21, a BPD detective was in the store conducting an investigation on an unrelated matter, when he was notified that Devon Cotton had just fled the store with another stolen hover board,” Knight said. “And he left the parking lot in a white GMC Yukon.

“BPD detectives located the vehicle at a residence in the 600 block of Michigan Avenue. Cotton attempted to escape out of the rear door of the residence and was confronted by officers. Cotton ran back into the residence when officers entered, and dove out of a window. Cotton fled on foot into a nearby wooded area. Officers gave chase and set up a perimeter. The dog chase team from Rayburn Correctional Center was called out to help search for Cotton, and were assisted in the search by Sgt. Josh Spinks and Sgt. Jeff Bergeron.

“The chase team observed Cotton in the edge of a wooded area on Verret Street. Detective Capt. Wendell O’Berry saw Cotton when he exited the woods. Capt. O’Berry approached him as the chase team exited the woods behind Cotton. He surrendered and was taken into custody.”

Cotton was initially taken to the emergency room at Our Lady of Angels Hospital for a severe injury to his thumb, as a result of him diving through the window. Cotton was later transferred to University Hospital in New Orleans, after it was discovered he had a severed tendon to his thumb.
“Warrants for theft between $1,000 and $5,000, criminal damage to property, and resisting an officer were obtained on Cotton,” Knight said. “Upon his release from the hospital the following morning, Cotton was arrested by the New Orleans Police Department as a fugitive. He is now in custody at the Orleans Parish Jail. Upon his release from there on other charges, he will be transported to the Bogalusa Police Department and arrested on the Bogalusa warrants.

“The latest stolen hoverboard was recovered hidden in a closet at the Michigan Street residence.”