Husband, wife charged with kidnapping

Published 8:30 am Tuesday, July 25, 2017

An Angie couple were taken into custody Saturday, after allegedly participating in a kidnapping, according to Chief Deputy Mike Haley of the Washington Parish Sheriff’s Office.

Shortly before midnight Friday, WPSO patrol deputies responded to a report of a possible kidnapping on A. Moses Road in Angie, Haley said. When deputies arrived at the location, they reportedly observed a woman standing in the front yard and screaming hysterically, alleging that her son had been kidnapped by his biological father.

Haley reported that the woman, who had a bloody knee and abrasions, said that Keenan Argene Moses, 31, a resident of Live Oak Cemetery Road in Angie, had come to her house, grabbed her young son and forced him into the rear of an automobile driven by his wife, Christin Eve Moses, 25, also a resident of Live Oak Cemetery Road.

Haley said the woman stated that she attempted to retrieve her son from the vehicle, at which time Keenan Moses knocked her to the ground and began striking her. At this time, the child was reportedly able to exit the car and run into the house.

Keenan Adams

Haley said Keenan Moses then retrieved a handgun from the vehicle and forced his way into the residence where the mother and three other children were located, and held the handgun to the mother’s head. Keenan Moses then reportedly grabbed the child and returned to the car, placing the child in the rear seat. The mother followed and attempted to get the child out of the car, but Christen Moses locked the car doors and drove off with Keenan Moses and the child in the car, Haley said.

After collecting statements from the mother and children who were witnesses, Sgt. David Cupp then contacted Christen and she agreed to meet him at a location in Varnado, Haley said. She reportedly stated that Keenan Moses was headed to the hospital in Bogalusa to have the boy checked for an alleged injury.

Haley said that the Bogalusa Police Department was advised of the situation and sent an officer to the hospital, where medical staff advised that Keenan Moses had not been there. Meanwhile, Cupp met Christen Moses in Varnado and placed her under arrest.

Haley said that WPSO Patrol Deputy Stan Heinrich went to the Bogalusa hospital to wait and see if Keenan Moses arrived, but he did not. However, Haley said that Keenan’s father arrived with the boy who had been kidnapped. The father was unaware of what had occurred earlier and only brought to the boy to the hospital because Keenan had asked him to do so, Haley said.

The boy was examined by medical personnel, who determined he did not have an injury as alleged. The child’s mother was then advised to come to the WPSO office in Bogalusa to pick up her son, Haley said.

Christen Moses

Keenan’s father was asked to contact Keenan and ask him to come to the WPSO office in Bogalusa. The father did so and Keenan stated he would be there in 15 minutes. After waiting a couple of hours for Keenan to turn himself in, deputies obtained a warrant for his arrest, Haley said.

Mid-afternoon Saturday, Varnado Police Chief Louis Adams advised Heinrich that Keenan Moses was at his residence on Live Oak Cemetery Road and wanted to turn himself in, Haley said. Cupp, Heinrich and Adams went to the residence and took Keenan Moses into custody without incident.

Keenan Argene Moses, 31, remains in the Washington Parish Jail with his bond set at $70,500. He is charged with home invasion, aggravated kidnapping, simple battery and being a fugitive from St. Tammany Parish where he is wanted for failure to appear on a marijuana charge.

Christen Eve Moses, 25, was placed in the Washington Parish Jail with her bond set at $10,000. She is charged with aggravated kidnapping. On Sunday, she met the conditions of her bond and was released.

“This situation could have been much worse,” Washington Parish Sheriff Randy Seal said. “Highly emotional domestic situations, coupled with the presence of a firearm and forced entry into a residence when children are present, always present the possibility of serious consequences. The prompt response of our deputies, coupled with their professional handling of this matter, resulted in a good outcome.

“The child and mother are safe and the kidnappers were locked up. That is the way it is supposed to work. Good work, Sgt. Cupp and Deputy Heinrich! And thanks to the Bogalusa Police Department and Chief Adams for their valuable assistance.”