Enjoy the free fair this week, but stay safe
Published 6:00 am Wednesday, October 19, 2016
The Washington Parish Free Fair returns for its 105th year this week, and there will be thousands of people visiting. All those people means it’s important to use common sense and be safe at the fair, especially with younger children.
The Washington Parish Sheriff’s Office offered several recommendations in last weekend’s paper, but here are some of the most important tips to follow:
• Prepare a written note with the child’s name, parents’ names, parents’ cell phone number, parents’ address and any other information. Give this note to your child in case he or she becomes separated from you, so that law enforcement officials can quickly locate you in the case of an emergency.
• Designate a meeting spot, in case you are separated from your children.
• Advise children who may become lost to approach a uniformed officer, who will take them to the sheriff’s office command center.
• Do not bring alcohol, illegal drugs or firearms to the fair.
• Stay in larger groups. Do not wander into the woods.
Let’s be sure everyone has a fun and safe week at the fair.