Bogalusa man arrested for gun, drug violations

Published 2:54 pm Monday, October 10, 2016


On Monday, Washington Parish Sheriff’s deputies arrested a man Sheriff Randy Seal called “a known felon” on gun and drug charges.

According to information from Chief Deputy Mike Haley, deputies were searching for a vehicle involved in an alleged child endangerment offense when they stopped the suspected vehicle at the intersection of Dan Street and Mitchell Avenue in Bogalusa.

When the deputy asked the driver for identification, the driver allegedly fled on foot. After a foot pursuit and a brief struggle, the deputy arrested James Keys, 28, a resident of 918 Union Ave. in Bogalusa. Conducting a vehicle search incidental to the arrest, the deputy allegedly discovered methamphetamine, cash and a stolen pistol.

Keys was transported to the Washington Parish Jail where he remains with bond set at $91,003. He is charged with:

Possession With Intent to Distribute Schedule II Drugs

Possession of a Controlled Dangerous Substance With a Weapon Present

Possession of Drug Paraphernalia

Possession of a Stolen Firearm

Resisting an Officer by Flight on Foot

Obstruction of Justice

Failure to Appear (misdemeanor)

Four counts of Failure to Appear (felony)


Keys has been in the Washington Parish Jail on two previous occasions. On March 13, 2006, he was arrested and charged with Aggravated Assault by Drive By Shooting and Illegal Discharge of a Weapon.

He was released on May 12, 2006, after posting a $125,000 bond.

His next arrest was January 6, 2008, on charges of Illegal Discharge of a Weapon and Simple Battery. He was released on January 8, 2008, after posting a $5,500 bond.

Sheriff Randy Seal was quick to praise the patrol deputy for his actions in this matter.

“Any time a deputy stops a known felon who is in possession of a semi-automatic pistol, there is a substantial risk of danger,” said Seal. “The deputy did not know Keys’ criminal history when he stopped him and this situation could have gone bad quickly. I congratulate our deputy for handling this in a professional manner and being able to go home safely to his family.”