Mixon confesses to killing woman, burning body; motive unclear

Published 11:08 am Thursday, August 4, 2016

An unidentified woman was shot to death either late Tuesday or early Wednesday morning in a home south of Bogalusa.

Washington Parish Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Mike Haley said one man, Charles Joseph “Joey” Mixon has been arrested and charged with second-degree murder.

Haley said the victim’s body was burned beyond recognition, so investigators are testing DNA to confirm the identity. However, Haley did say the victim was a resident of St. Tammany Parish.

Haley said Mixon confessed to the shooting, but investigators don’t know the motive and have not yet established a definitive relationship between Mixon and the victim.

On Wednesday, rumors claimed the Drug Enforcement Agency was involved in the investigation, but Haley said that was not correct.

“DEA was not there,” he said. “Don’t know motive.  No evidence at this time that drugs were a factor.”

However, sheriff’s deputies did work the scene with state police.

Haley said the sheriff’s office first got a report of the murder from Bogalusa police.

“At approximately 2 a.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 3, the Washington Parish Sheriff’s Office was notified by the Bogalusa Police Department that a citizen had come to the police department and reported a murder that had occurred at a residence south of Bogalusa,” said Haley. “Patrol deputies went to the scene at 61480 Shorty Bush Road and found Charles Joseph ‘Joey’ Mixon, 41, outside the residence.”

The home is at the end of a quiet, dead end street and Stacey Moore, a neighbor said the Mixon home had always been peaceful and Tuesday evening seemed no different than any other evening.

Moore said she arrived home at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday and left her home at 8 p.m. after sitting outside on her porch for a while.

“There was nothing out of the ordinary,” she said.

At 8 p.m., Moore said she and her fiancé went out and returned by 11:30 p.m., at which time everything still seemed fine.

“The porch light was on and there was nothing out of the ordinary,” said Moore.

But by morning, Mixon’s home was cordoned off with crime scene tape.