2 arrested in murder case

Published 9:32 am Wednesday, October 21, 2015

St. Tammany Parish Sheriff Jack Strain announced Monday morning during a press conference that investigators arrested two men in connection with the murder of Bogalusa’s Nanette Me’ Shell King.

King’s body was discovered in her burned out car last week in a wooded area off Louisiana Highway 16 west of Sun.

One of the two men arrested in the case, Gary Lee Harris, 53, of Father Francis Drive in Sun, is King’s former boyfriend. They had a relationship of over 20 years and have a 17-year-old daughter together. Investigators also arrested Harris’ older brother, Ray Steven Harris, 64, of Dad Penton Road, in Bush.

Gary Lee Harris was booked into the St. Tammany Parish Jail on a charge of second degree murder. Strain said King was strangled. Ray Steven Harris was charged with one count of accessory after the fact to second-degree murder. Both men are currently in the St. Tammany Parish jail. Bond for Gary Harris was set at $800,000, while for Ray Harris was set at $100,000.

King was reported missing on Sept. 20 after her shift at the Sun Shell Station. Detectives have been in contact with the Harris brothers since first receiving the missing persons complaint on King.

During the first week of the investigation, detectives executed search warrants on Gary Harris’ property. In the weeks that followed, detectives spoke with the brothers on a number of occasions in an attempt to gain insight into King’s disappearance.

As the investigation progressed, evidence that was collected and inconsistencies in statements given by Gary Harris led detectives to narrow the scope of their investigation, focusing on the Harris brothers’ possible involvement in King’s disappearance.

Late last Thursday, while speaking with investigators, Ray Harris admitted to his role and knowledge of the crime. Gary Harris has so far been uncooperative with investigators, Strain said.

The investigation revealed information that led detectives to believe that on the afternoon of Sept. 20, King met Gary Harris at his home in Bush, where she used to live with him. When she arrived there, he killed her at that location and later transported her body, and her vehicle, to the location where the Mitsubishi Gallant was found last week.

Ray Harris was arrested for his involvement in his brother’s actions after King’s murder.