Bogalusa murder suspect transferred

Published 8:34 am Friday, October 3, 2014

The Pomona, Calif., man charged in the Sept. 13 slaying of a Bogalusa resident was recently transferred to Rivers Correctional Center in Ferriday for security reasons.

Larry Dupre Alderson was charged in the murder of 27-year-old Jonathan C. Roberts of Riverside Drive. Roberts’ body was found early on the morning of Sept. 13 behind Thirkield United Methodist Church.

Alderson was arrested at a Mobile, Ala., bus station and later brought back to Bogalusa and placed in the Washington Parish Jail.

Alderson was moved to Rivers on Sept. 25. Washington Parish Jail Warden Jim Miller said Alderson was transferred out for his own safety.

“Because he has enemies in the back, and he’s not from here,” Miller said as reasoning for the transfer. “I couldn’t give him care, custody and control back there. I couldn’t guarantee his safety back there. Our facility is not set up for him.”

Alderson has not been arraigned on the charges. He had been in the Bogalusa area for approximately three months when the killing took place.

Alderson was initially charged with first-degree murder. Since being returned to Bogalusa, law enforcement authorities added charges of a felon in possession of a firearm, illegal discharge of a weapon, armed robbery and aggravated robbery. Alderson also had warrants for his arrest in Alabama.

No court date or arraignment has been scheduled for Alderson, who has approximately 12 aliases and whose arrest record is 13 pages long.

Alderson was arrested in Mobile with Brooke Ramsey, 23, of Bogalusa. She remains in the Washington Parish Jail in Franklinton, charged with felony accessory after the fact of murder.

Bogalusa Police Chief Joe Culpepper explained the additional charges.

“They’re not actually new charges. When we first got the information about him, we went after the big stuff and got the murder warrant to get him in the computer,” Culpepper said. “As the investigation continued, all the other offenses were added. He gave us a statement and was turned over to the Sheriff’s Office. Once he got back here, we had other related charges to put on him.”

Culpepper said at the time of the arrests that the community’s assistance was essential in apprehending Alderson and Ramsey.