3 charged in attempted murder

Published 10:01 am Friday, April 19, 2013

Bogalusa police detectives had a long and grueling day Tuesday, but before the day was done they had three suspects in custody on charges related to an early morning shooting.

Lorenzo Lewis, 27, of Franklinton was charged with attempted second-degree murder, dangerous use of a weapon and being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm. Shaquecha Crosby, 21, and Jerrica Johnson, 30, both of Bogalusa, were charged with being principals to attempted second-degree murder.

Police Chief Joe Culpepper said officers responded to a call that someone had been shot in the 1100 block of Ann Street at approximately 5:30 a.m. and found James Dixon, 38, of Bogalusa had been shot twice.

“He was able to give the responding officers a short statement,” he said. “He said Jerrica Johnson and his girlfriend, Shaquecha Crosby, had set him up. He was beat up and shot.”

The investigation began.

“During the course of the investigation, detectives learned the two girls had contacted a third party, Lorenzo Lewis, because there was a domestic dispute between Crosby and the victim,” Culpepper said. “They set Dixon up on a walking trail, and the guy beat him up and shot him.

“The two had some sort of relationship, and when something happened, instead of calling the police, she decided to call a friend, who shot him.”

Investigators discovered that Lewis was on probation or parole, Culpepper could not say for what offense, and enlisted the assistance of the Department of Probation and Parole. When they tracked him to Franklinton, they also called on the Franklinton Police Department.

But by that time they heard he was headed to Bogalusa, so they set up a roadblock near Louisiana Highway 10 and Louisiana Highway 62 to intercept the suspect. They stopped a few vehicles but learned Lewis had turned back to Franklinton.

The capture took some work, but Lewis was ultimately picked up in Franklinton, and Crosby and Johnson were arrested in Bogalusa.

About 8 p.m., Detective Kendall Bullen called and reported that Lewis had confessed and told officers where they could find the involved revolver in a house in the Terrace, and that the weapon had been recovered, Culpepper said.

The chief praised responding officers, investigators and the cooperation of Probation and Parole and the FPD.

He said the penalty for a charge of being a principal to attempted second-degree murder is the same as that for the actual crime.

If convicted, Crosby, Johnson and Lewis could all be sentenced to up to 50 years in prison, although Lewis faces additional charges.

On Wednesday, Culpepper said Dixon had been through surgery and was alert and talking.