WPSO reports no problems; some residents without power

Published 5:53 pm Tuesday, August 28, 2012

At 5 p.m. Tuesday, as Hurricane Isaac was nearing the Louisiana coastline and the skies were darkening, Washington Parish Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Mike Haley said he felt comfortable with preparations for the storm and that no related trouble had yet been reported.

Also, at approximately 5:40 p.m. Entergy reported that between one and 50 Bogalusa customers were without power.

“We haven’t had any problems so far,” he said. “Not knowing what the storm is going to do, we’re trying to monitor. We had everybody out this morning-the sheriff, myself and deputy chiefs Jeff Boehm and Shannon Lyons. We made sure everything was in order and organized. We’re ready to go.”

Haley said he and Sheriff Randy Seal had also checked on the New Orleans Police Department horse units that had evacuated to the fairgrounds, and that the NOPD was “so gracious” that it was allowed to camp out in Franklinton.

At 5 p.m., the chief deputy was getting ready to head back to work for an all-nighter after being given a couple of hours’ rest in advance of what could be a busy night.

“We’ll be there throughout the night in the event anything comes up,” he said. “We divided the parish up into four districts. All of our deputies, all shifts, are going to be out working. We assigned each deputy to the district closest to his or her home because they know their areas and so they can check on their families and neighbors.”

If the sustained winds get to about 40 miles per hour, the deputies will be pulled in for safety, but the WPSO will continue to respond to calls throughout the storm, Haley said.

Many parish residents should have already gotten that word, he said.

On Monday, Seal sent out a “robocall” to homes across the parish “letting people know that the WPSO was prepared and would do whatever they could to protect them and to respond to their needs,” Haley said.

Parish officials are urging everyone to stay indoors and off the roads.

The City of Bogalusa has instituted a curfew from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday.