Balloon festival launches May 19
Published 11:38 am Tuesday, May 10, 2022
The Bogalusa Parks, Recreation and Culture Commission will be presenting the “Bogalusa Balloon Festival” from Friday, May 20, through Sunday, May 22, at George R. Carr Memorial Airfield, located at 401 Walker St. in Bogalusa.
There will also be a bonus carnival night on Thursday, May 19. Throughout the four-day festival, there will be vendors, food, live music, a carnival, balloon glows and flights, and tethered balloon rides (conditions permitting).
Friday will be a VIP only event with The Band Epic. Weekend VIP tickets include other amenities for $100. General admission tickets are $5 for one day, $7 for two days. Children 12 and under receive free admission.
Pre-register to volunteer for a balloon crew; volunteers are needed. Sponsors are still being accepted. Follow the Bogalusa Balloon Festival on Facebook for more detailed schedules and additional information.
As of press time, the following was the tentative schedule:
Thursday, May 19
- Family carnival night from 5 p.m. until 10 p.m.
Friday, May 20
- VIP only reception — dinner at 6 p.m., The Band Epic at 6:30 p.m., Balloon Glow at 7:45 p.m.
Saturday, May 21
- 7 a.m. — Sponsors’ flight.
- 10 a.m. — Gates open, carnival from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- 10:30 a.m. — Opening ceremony.
- noon — Commemorative Air Force flyover.
- 2 p.m. — Allen Freeman.
- 3 p.m. — Tethered balloon rides start (if weather cooperates). $10 per person.
- 4 p.m. — Joel Galloway.
- 5:45 p.m. — Balloon Glow and flights.
- 6 p.m. — The Rezonators.
- 8 p.m. — Iverson Blues Band.
- 10 p.m. — Gates close.
Sunday, May 22
- 7 a.m. — Balloon flight.
- 10 a.m. — Justin Blackwell and Autumn Rise-N.
- 10 a.m. — Carnival gates open, will close at 5 p.m.
- 2 p.m. — Cypress Creek.