Timing is often perfect

Published 4:54 am Wednesday, December 5, 2018

I set the timer on the stove and rehearsed my little talk one more time. The bell rang just a couple of minutes before I finished reading what I had prepared, so I was satisfied that it would fit into my spot on the program. I was ready to do my part at the Ladies Christmas Luncheon at my church but was also battling a case of butterflies because I had to speak.

When the lady in charge of the women’s ministry asked me to share with the ladies, I said “yes.” Whenever I speak I pray extra hard to know just what to say and try not to think about the sweaty palms and heart palpitations that almost inevitably show up when I stand in front of a large crowd.

With each practice run I began to feel a little more confident that I would be able to relax and have fun at the luncheon instead of stressing about my little part. Because I like to get things done early I already had my table ready complete with centerpiece, dishes, utensils, and favors for my guests.

I checked my phone and saw that Cherrie, that sweet daughter in love of mine, had called.

“Hey. Call me when you get my message.”

Nothing else. Just matter of fact, but I thought something might be wrong, and I was correct.

“Hey sweetie. What’s the matter? Is everything OK?”

“Well, I’m at the hospital having tests run. They seem to think I have acute appendicitis.”

“I’ll be there in just a few minutes.”

Turns out it was a really good thing that I had my table ready and my part written out so someone could step in for me. Cherrie had to have an emergency appendectomy, and I’ve been doing my best to help out since the phone call. She is healing well, but it takes a while to get back up and going after surgery.

Cherrie thought something was up the night before, but prayed that she could make it until morning so she wouldn’t frighten that sweet son of hers. Her hubby, Robby, is at work in Saudi Arabia, and things have a way of happening when he isn’t around to help out, but everything fell into place.

Once Cherrie took Gauge to school, she went to urgent care. After that visit the wheels started to turn quickly. It was on to the hospital to get a CAT scan with contrast, which pointed to appendicitis. They never allowed her to go home after that. The entire hospital staff and the surgeon were wonderful.

Cherrie’s sister, Taylor, happened to have the day off and was able to pick Gauge up after school. Her sister, Crystal, hurried to the hospital in time to see her before surgery. Mike came after work and waited with us.

The surgery went so well that I was able to bring her home that very evening! Lots of details had to work out for everyone involved, and we thank God once again for His perfect timing, hand of protection and loving care.

Jan Penton Miller can be reached at lilsisjan@yahoo.com.